Thursday, June 7, 2012

How This Memory Project Started

In 1989, the Rev. Craig Schill, then a student at University of Arizona, interviewed some senior citizens for a history project. Each interviewee told Craig about their life in Arizona. He typed up interview abstracts and shared them with my grandmother in appreciation for her assistance in connecting him to other seniors. In 2012, I found the abstracts among her files and knew they needed to be shared with the genealogical community.

Over the next few weeks the abstracts of those who have passed on will be shared through this blog. My plan is to follow the GeneaBlogger prompt for Amenuensis Monday.

Each interview will contain the name, year of birth, place of birth and when they arrived in Arizona. Other information may include where they lived, early memories of Arizona, parents' occupation, schools attended, career, military service, coping with the climate, the Depression, prejudice, transportation, church, entertainment, opinion of changes, and other topics they found important.

When I contacted him about sharing this information, Craig wrote "... that was my favorite project I did when in school. I did the interviews as an independent study for a history professor. Even though I was a business major - I love history ..."

Thank you, Pastor Craig, for capturing a little bit of Arizona history.

Others have assisted me to locate more information about these individuals. Thank you to the gracious Arizona volunteers at Find A Grave and Obituary Daily Times. Thank you also to family members who have shared information at Ancestry, Rootsweb and Genealogy.com.

Following are the interviewees whose stories will be shared this summer:
  • Munday K. Curd  (1912-2007)
  • Ethel Deanna Schofield Futrell  (1905-2001)
  • Rosalie Mason Hammock  (1924-2006)
  • Ethel May Wilbur Mastin  (1921-2010) and Alice Jane Wilbur Waggoner  (1911-1993)
  • Julia May Mills Seitz  (1912-1993)
  • Charlotte Stearns  (1904-1994)
  • Shirley Ethel Norvelle Welch  (1915-1999)
  • Eleanor Treat Woods  (1911-2008)

Credit goes to my grandmother and her photo studio for the photos used in the header.